Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Decent Human Being

I always walk by Monofuko Milk Bar, since it is on a populated street in the East Village. I had been once before (as I had documented in a previous post) and walked away muy disappointed. I feel like I should give it a second chance. I peeked in today, as usual, checked out their crazy soft serve flavors and then walked on, partially daunted by the crowd.

Well, one of the flavor names stuck in my head and I began craving a taste. I had walked about four or five blocks when I realized I had to go back. The flavor? Sweet and salty cucumber. Weird, right? But it sounds like it could be refreshing and delicious. I once made a very successful cucumber gin and tonic sorbet.

It wasn't too crowded when I got back and stepped up to the front. I read the sign that each customer is only entitled to one sample. That throws my usual routine into turmoil! Well, they only had four flavors (the aforementioned cucumber, watermelon, horchata, and cereal milk). The cereal milk is sort of their famous standard, which I have never tried but figured I'd have other opportunities. Horchata is a Mexican rice drink sweetened with cinnamon. I enjoy it, but I figured what it would taste like. So that left the watermelon and cucumber.

I asked for a sample of the watermelon and immediately realized why customers were only allowed one sample each. It was like a mini-serving. It came in a small plastic cup and with a little wooden spoon. It was delicious - not too creamy, not too icy - and really had the watermelon flavor. Great, so now on to what I came for. I ordered the cucumber and the girl looked at me with a bit of doubt. She asked if I had ever tried it and when I said no, she added a little bit to my watermelon sample.

I was surprised at how green it was. But the flavor was subtle, with a lot of salt. I liked it and thought I could eat more, but all of a sudden I began to feel full. I basically got two tastes here and they really were not small. The thought of eating a serving of this sweet and salty ice cream after already downing a mini-helping, didn't sound so great.

I didn't know what to do. I'm not the person who comes in and asks for a free sample and then leaves. But I didn't want to force myself to eat more than I wanted. She suggested I buy a cookie, but I didn't really want that. So I offered, "Why don't I just leave you a tip and we'll call it a night?" She certainly didn't object and thanked me for being a decent human being. I guess many people come in for free samples and leave it at that.

I walked away feeling a little strange. I felt bad about only getting a sample, but proud that I had the proper instinct, and impressed that I didn't gorge myself. Soft serve made me feel good about myself - and it had nothing to do with the taste.

In a way, I was back where I started. I still haven't given Momofuko Milk Bar a full second chance. But my interest has been re-ignited and this decent human being will return soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try that flavor. I had their cherries jubilee ice cream, which some people said was too sweet. I disagreed and really enjoyed it but that was possibly because I ordered the maraschinos on top of it and ANYTHING will taste sour after a few of those suckers. The second time I went there I got a blueberry cookie and it was ridiculously delicious. I think I'll try to get over there soon for at least a sample myself.

    I'm a bit of an ice cream fiend myself (though mostly making, not so much eating from establishments) so I'm happy to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Anna. I have to try more of their flavors too. The line is always so intimidating.

    I love making ice cream too. I have some earlier entries about my ice cream making ventures. There'll be more soon enough as soon as I have time to bring out the old Cuisinart. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete