Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cinnamon Cherry Ice Cream


A friend of mine sent me a recipe a few weeks ago from Oprah's website. It seemed interesting enough - Cinnamon Cherry Ice Cream. Not a combo I would immediately think of, but why not?

I was in Whole Foods and saw some great cherries, so decided to try out this recipe. My big purchase was Harvey's Bristol Cream. The recipe called for the cherries to be soaked in the sherry overnight. I let them sit in there a little longer because life sort of caught up with me. But I liked the strong flavor the sherry brought out in the cherries.

The rest of the recipe was a pretty obvious cinnamon ice cream. I had made one very similar a few weeks earlier. I steeped the cinnamon sticks in the cream mixture and it brings out a great flavor.

The cherries were added after I froze the ice cream. The flavors work a lot better than I would have though. However, my big problem is the size of the cherries. I halved them (as the recipe called for), but I think I would have cut them smaller. The big pieces are harder to eat because they're frozen and you're eating the ice cream and then have to deal with this cold hard cherry.

Another friend suggested a peanut butter ice cream with apple chunks. So when I finally do get to that, I'll make sure to cut the apple pieces smaller.


No comments:

Post a Comment